statcounter

flagcounter

Flag Counter

On Angels and Messengers

Wednesday, July 7, 2010

EDGAR ALLAN POETRY

RAVING

Once when I was feeling cheery, I found a poem, bleak and dreary
by a man who died at fortyish, more than a hundred years before.
While I started fairly happy, suddenly I felt real crappy
and soon I got plenty sappy, sappy as his metaphor.
"This is pitiful," I muttered, "to be sappy as a metaphor."
I read this verse, and nothing more:
Once upon a midnight dreary, while I pondered, weak and weary,
Over many a quaint and curious volume of forgotten lore,
While I nodded, nearly napping, suddenly there came a tapping,
As of some one gently rapping, rapping at my chamber door.
"'Tis some visitor," I muttered, "tapping at my chamber door —
Only this, and nothing more."

1 comment:

  1. I see what you are hinting at. Nonetheless, Poe had his brilliance in writing; I was expecting a bit more, to be honest. You did say (in your labels) that it was a satire, yet...you could have played on more...I have noticed that you have quite a taste for satire...

    Read you soon, as time permits!

    Best

    ReplyDelete