statcounter

flagcounter

Flag Counter

On Angels and Messengers

Tuesday, May 25, 2010

MORE THAN THEY APPEAR TO BE*


“Things are not always what they appear to be.”
That’s true enough; and it’s not just about being deceptive.
Sirens, grandmotherly wolves, and wax grapes notwithstanding,
the people in our lives, and the principles we live by,
are often much more precious than we realize.
We may not recognize their value until they’re gone.
Then regret seeps in to fill the vacant space.

Who did you meet on your way to Emmaeus?**

.
“If I had realized ..."
[insert the Whole Truth here] ...
"I would have cherished ..."
or "I would have told him ..."
or "I wouldn’t have acted as I did ..."
or yada this or yada that.
It’s not too late to heal those wounds, Dear Soul.
Sometimes, though, it takes years -- and it takes tears.
If you ask me, I’ll tell you how I did it
with the memory of my father.
Right, Dad?

NOTES:
* Inspiration courtesy of Jennifer.
** Luke (24:13-35).
***For more on “not always what they appear
see this Blog for May 5, 2010: “God’s Image and Man’s Imagination”.

No comments:

Post a Comment