statcounter

flagcounter

Flag Counter

On Angels and Messengers

Tuesday, September 1, 2020

LIVING THE DREAM

 After my wife passed away, I sold the big house, paid off all my debts and bought a cabin in the woods -- 7 acres on a private lake.  The Amish are marvelous carpenters, but they don't do plumbing or electricity.  Either did I, but I couldn't afford contractors, so I learned.

I learned that LIFE OFF-THE-GRID (especially on a hill) is a lot of work: firewood, propane, whatever.  It's a problem just getting the groceries from the car into the cabin.  Hoisting a 300-lb Amish chimney into place is a challenge. The cost of perseverance is pain, lots and lots of pain...but I manage to get by on Social Security.  I retired at 48 for health reasons, so there are no retirement savings.





(Photo from Google Earth, so the vertical scale is exaggerated) 

 It is quiet out here.

____________________________________________


No comments:

Post a Comment